Monday, September 13, 2010

Zorch is Dead?????

What a provocative title. I remember as a child reading DC comic books, and every month it seems either Superman or Batman would be dying in the very next issue. Of course, they never really did kill off either hero at that time. But it was upsetting to me as a small impressionable child. After a while, the shock value dissipated and I no longer cared.

Zorch, much like Superman and Batman can't really die. He never lived, he's just a cartoon character on your computer screen. An expression of an identity employed to share some music. Oddly enough, I am Zorch, and not Zorch at the same time. Welcome to my existential quagmire.

I'm sure some people are jumping to conclusions, and while I don't want to be a party pooper, I'm not quitting Second Life. I do treasure the people that appreciate my effort in Second Life, and while they are few in number, they are all quite dear to me. Even if I someday get to the point where I can support myself outside of Second Life, I'll still Play shows now and then for the faithful few.

For the record, I'm not even close to cutting back on shows in Second Life yet. It is my sole source of income at this point. But I'm looking for other opportunities, and frankly any McJob would provided me with more money per month then Second Life does.

This is my last “Get Zorched” Blog. There will be no further Zorch Boomhauer Mp3 collections. Once again, I'm not quitting just moving on. I've come to learn a career based on the music scene in Second Life is not quite the best thing for a performer like myself. I don't play the game well, and just between you and I, while Zorch might not be dying Second Life might be.

Last Friday afternoon, there were 50,000 people online and come Friday evening, there were only 58,000. Use to be about 80,000 online last year this time. Fall use to herald the seasonal rebirth of Second Life after a long drab Summer. However it doesn't seem to be rebounding this year. For someone that is an acquired taste like myself the numbers matter. I only interest a very small percentage of people involved, so I need to move on to a larger population. .000001 % of 58,000 isn't a very big share. However .000001 % of 7 billion is significant.

I'm going to invest more time and effort in my Real Life music adventures and frankly I don't know what will happen. I'm still playing Show in Second Life, but that is were my involvement stops. Much thanks to everybody that supported this blog. Maybe you can follow my next one.

No comments: