Thursday, October 14, 2010

And then I woke up

I feel I've just woken up from a zombie like existence, and while it's been a “Long strange trip”, it's been quite educational.

Lesson one learned is Friends are where you find them.

There is a very popular myth that “Internet friends” are patently fake, and the people you can count on you meet in “Real Life ™ ”. Currently, my “Chips” are down, and the people coming to my aid are both friends I've met online, and a dear long standing friend I've met in real life. Conversely, one of my most damaging relationships I've ever experienced was started in real life.

Lesson two learned is when idiots agree with you it's time to re-evaluate your position.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but in case you didn't know the comments posted on this page are moderated. That means before it goes public, I get to read it and make sure I want it posted on my Blog. Some seem to think this is an unfair policy but I don't really care what they think. I don't delete comments because people disagree, but I do pull the ones posted by retards.

Recently a retard submitted a post saying I was right, Second Life is a waste of time, and that he wished me luck in my real life adventures. He also mentioned how shocked he was none of my fans had posted a comment. Hey, I don't need to approve comments when I'm not updating the blog.

Now since a retard agreed with my former conclusion I've revised my opinion about Second Life music.

Second Life music scene overview revised.

People listen to music for any number of reasons. This is true both online and offline. People attach value to music for a variety of reasons as well. While it's true that the more socially adept people seem to do better in Second Life, In Camden SC, “The Pound” plays shows at the Arts Center, not because they are good (or anything even remotely artistic) , but because they are locally popular.

Harrie once told me, “Popular people are popular for a reason”. She is absolutely right. However that reason is hardly ever musical superiority... or even competency. Life isn't fair no matter how much you bitch about it.

However, what I do musically does have some worth even if it's not a popular commodity. And while I'm not a Sim crasher, nor likely to become one, that does not mean Second Life is a waste of time for me. If I play a fist full of shows per-week, and pick up 3 fans a week, at the end of the year I have 156 new fans. While that would not make me mainstream in any way, for me as an truly independent artist, it's a significant boon. I basically work up 156 at a time until I have over 1,000. My best tact is maintaining and servicing the fan base I build.

Recently there has been a fellow on Second Life who jumped up into “The Biggest Thing On Second Life”. He was solid draw, pulled in lots of people, made a lot of noise. Good on him, however, his momentum is already showing signs of diminishing. His number while still vastly superior to mine are starting to sag. Now I'm not picking on this guy, or naming names, pointing fingers or any other appendages, but to quote Gary Numan, “It's a lot easier to become famous then to stay famous”.

I'm not famous, I'm not popular, but I have supporters that have been with me for well over two years. Looking back, had I promoted myself with a bit more ambition I could have had more supporters.

I'm on a new path, got a new attitude and most importantly, the Mojo is back. I'm into the Second Life Music Scene because there are people in it that enjoy music. I'm going to find those people. I'm also endeavoring to find more Offline musical bookings because there are people there that are interested in music as well.

End of Revised overview

I did mention my chips are down, but when you hit at least somewhere close to rock bottom, you start to realize what matters. What matters to me is my Daughter and my Music. Yeah, I'll never be a star, but I'm secure in the knowledge my music as value. And off I go, down the Harper's Road, be it online or offline. In the end, the love a child gives me something to hold on to, and the Music sustains me.

With a grateful heart I thank all the very good friends I have in my life. I love you all so very much. Not because my heart is wise, but because it is only right I should do so.

No comments: