Sunday, January 25, 2009

Howard Roark and me

When people ask me what my favorite book is I say, “1984 by George Orwell”. When they ask what my favorite movie is, I say “The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper”. I feel I should point out, if there were no “1984”, “The Fountainhead” would be my favorite book hands down.

More poignant still, my favorite fictional character is without a doubt Howard Roark.

Howard is the protagonist of the book, an architect, and a genius of modern design.

The antagonist is a architecture critic at a newspaper who sees Howard’s designs and realizes Howard is a freaking genius… however, to this critic, this is a very bad thing indeed. You see, the critic gets his Jollies making sure every building is a shrine to mediocrity. The critic sees it as his duty to make sure Howard is destroyed because if unchecked, people might come to the realization that everything doesn’t have to suck.

Machiavellian schemes are hatched and put into motion. Howard’s integrity is tested over and over. Howard refuses to compromise.

I recommend the book, and even the movie at this point. Yes it’s fair to call the story both massively melodramatic, and pure objectivist propaganda, and while not put in a fantastic setting (no elves or fairies), it does push the limits of your willing suspension of disbelief. But even still, the story is compelling and to me quite inspirational.

At one point in the movie (this is one part the movie seems to work better at conveying), Howard is looking at a building project going up he wanted to design very badly, but didn’t get. The critic decides this would be a great time to unveil himself, make his evil machinations clear to Howard and crush his sprits forever.

The critic gets Howard’s attention and tells him all the things he’s done to actively destroy him. The critic makes it clear he recognizes Howard’s genius, but then drones on about how every building should be a shire to mediocrity. After a few dozen Mwha ha ha’s, the critic ends with the question, “So… what do you think of me Mr. Roark”?

Howard answers, “I don’t think of you” and walks off.

I gotta tell you seeing that scene really gave me goose bumps. It was almost like “Pardon me I wasn’t really listening to all that shit you said, but I really have to go now”.

Howard in the end wins. He prevails, and he never wavers, never compromises. He stoically remains true to his vision, and even goes to elaborate lengths to make sure no one imposes their ideas on his own designs.

Gary Cooper played many characters in his career. His least popular character was Howard Roark. Howard was viewed as an arrogant egomaniac, not a team player and frankly selfish. I however see the character differently. I see him as a man of integrity, and an artist of uncompromising vision.

Some view me as an arrogant egomaniac, not a team player and frankly a bit selfish. I view myself more of a man of integrity, and an artist of uncompromising vision.

See the trouble reading causes?

As to my critics, what do I think of you? I don’t think of you.

No comments: