Thursday, January 22, 2009

Observations

I spend a lot of my time just trying to figure things out in Second Life. I feel most people don’t really observe what is happening and then react to it. They seem to have a hypothesis and just pretend it’s real.

Let’s ask some questions and then I’ll share what I’ve observed.

Why do venues pay fees?

I’ve play a lot of show for tips only. There was a time when I said I would not seek or accept a fee, but after someone insisted I do so… it’s kind of hard to turn you back on money.

I’m sure some venues pay fees just because they respect the fact the artist deserves to be compensated for their time. That seems reasonable enough. But if it were just a matter of fair compensation, why would there be different fees?

Why are some artist worth 3k L$ per hour and others worth 6K L$ per hours? Are the 6K artists twice as good? Not from what I’ve observed.

In most cases the higher fee is paid to the artist that has the biggest draw. The venue owners are buying visitors. Note, not customers, but visitors. While the more visitors a venue has the more likely it is to receive tips, the fact remains that in 99.99999999% of the time, these tips the venue collects doesn’t even cover the fee they pay the artist that draws the crowd.

Since there is no sound commercial sense to paying a huge fee, I have to conclude the reasons are more abstract then profit motivations. If there are 100 fee-paying venues, they probably have 100 different reasons they pay fees.

What conclusion is safe to arrive at with this observation? Well, don’t sweat the fees. They only amount to a few dollars either way. If a good venue offers you a “tips only” show and some strip club offers you 4K for an hour of your time, I would recommend the good venue (if it was an “either or” situation). People go to a music venue because they are interested in music. People go to a strip club because… well your guess is as good as mine, but I think they are less interested in music. Your support group has more long-term value then some fee will ever provide.

Music Management in Second Life?

Yes, that is a question. For those of you paying attention, I’ve had some dealing with being “Represented” and at this point I can claim some informed opinions about the experience, base of course on my observations.

I’m not a Rockstar in real life, and if I were… that would be my little secret in Second Life. In reality, the Rockstar bar is set pretty low in Second Life. What passes for Karaoke in real life passes as entertainment in Second life. Now there are some people with actual talent in Second Life, but it would be far simpler to list the acts that suck then the act that are amazing.

While you need almost no talent to become a performer, there are still people that lack the most rudimentary talent to make the leap into Second life rockstardom. Those talent less few take up Second life careers in music management.

When you combine insecure, and questionable talent with the utterly talent less brood of music management types, making all kinds of promises, you have a volatile mix.

Now if it seems as if I’m painting all management types with the same brush, perhaps I am. There are probably a few management types that are simply helping out artists they really believe in.

I can only speak with any authority about my specific situation during my short association with “Mars needs Puppies”, or “Many nobodies pretending”, or “ Moody needs Prozac”, whatever MNP really stands for.

I gave it a try… it didn’t work. Should I say more? Probably not, but if you know me at all you must know I am going to say more.

I’m often accused of being arrogant. I don’t see myself that way at all, and frankly those that point a finger and angrily grunt out “ARROGANT” confuse me. I see myself more as very secure about my music. You either like it or you don’t. If you like it, I think you have remarkable musical taste and if you don’t like it…well, you probably enjoy your gold medals from the Special Olympics. Different people like different things. I like my music; I listen to it all the time.

From the “Get go” I met the Queen of MNP and she gave me a laundry list of things to do, and if of course didn’t do any of them. We should have both parted ways shortly after that first meeting. But we didn’t. I think we were both trying to give each other a fair shake.

I know by the end of December I was trying to figure out a polite way to end the…relationship. I feel Moody was probably doing the same. I was not going to be one of her submissive “Do what I say” type artist, and if you wonder why I was so resistant to her suggestions, well frankly, they all sounded stupid. Perhaps that is how I earned my arrogant tag, questioning Moody.

But this is not about my checkered past, but rather the value of management in Second Life.

Most venue owners are easy to get along with. Communication is pretty simple in Second Life. I seem to keep my calendar full without representation. I’m pretty sure most artists could do as well without representation.

I think when I agreed to work with MNP I was expecting some kind of comprehensive plan to help me attain my goals. That is what management does in real life. I didn’t get that. What I did get was a few gigs that paid a fee (last one being in a strip club…good going Moody), and being followed around by MNP Pod People.

My experience with management in Second Life indicates to me it’s pretty much pointless. At least in my case it is. What I want is pretty simple. Play my music and try to find people that want to listen to it. I don’t really need representation to prop up my ego, because believe it or not, it’s not about my ego. It’s about my music.

2 comments:

Suteruni said...

Hey Zorch, have been trying to figure out SL since I joined and the last year how the live music scene works.I want to comment on a few things you said.

'Why do venues pay fees?'

Basicly, mucisians get paid a fee because they ASK for it. It is up to venues if they want or can pay.
If you ask a certain fee as a musician, you risc not being asked by venues. It's as simple as that.
If a venue offers a fee without you asking, accept it, they can afford it. I know a venue owner and he only asks musicians he likes and pays them everything they ask. It is costing him a fortune out of his own pocket but untill now he can afford it.

I believe there are musicians that NEED the money and they go about that in their own way. On the other hand, there are musicians that dont need the money, rarely play and when they do it is only for fun or to practise. I doubt very much that there are venues that make money, at the best they only have to pay tier and tips wont cover that either.But they have fun Im sure.I really think musicians are in control and all depends on their motivations for playing in SL. For example: Von Johin, he plays only when it is conveniant for him, a couple of times a week during his evening time; asks 6K per gig but plays for 2 hours because that is how he likes to play.I have seen hem get tips from 3 to over 10K a gig so that is a nice buck to earn doing something you like to do.He is at an age that he doesnt want to travel and play throughout the country so SL is perfect for him this way.

Music Management in Second Life?

This may be usefull when a musician is new to SL, there is so much to learn when you just start out and it may be handy for the contacts.But I think your best shot is your fans. They like your music, they like you. You proved that your fans made your group grow etc. Fans dont charge, they want to share the music they love with others.Share the fun:)

Some musicians do need help because they dont think about sending out notices and stuff like that, fans can solve that :D And as for being 'arrogant', I found that most musicians are pretty 'arrogant', in the way, they love their own music and that is really how it should be.

I also want to mention, recently I heard that there are over 300 (!) live musicians in SL. A few years ago they were only just a handfull.
There IS a lot of talent in SL but hard to find with so many musicians and the time zone thing. So I listen to what friends suggest and friends listen to me.

We as an audience are so lucky to get to hear you and other great musicians live in SL. The only thing that worries me is that you find another purpose to play your music and will leave SL.So I guess, these really are the times of our lives and one day we will look back feeling sentimental.

hope to catch you later!!

Suteruni

PS, english is not my native language....

Nya Raymaker said...

Hugs SueSue ;) I was afraid I would be writing a two pages comment but you already did say most ;)

I used to (and intend to) pay musicians because I appreciate them. frankly though - if I get handed a bio that states the fee a musician charges in the second line - I tend to file it under "maybe some day" (we all have folders like this I guess.... "maybe some day"... "unsorted".... "miscellaneous".... - guess you know what I mean)

as for management - I do know two - maybe three people who basically are more of a friend to the musician they represent than a manager - helping them with all the annoying schedule and landmark and notice stuff. and they tend to NOT wear a tag saying MANAGEMENT :) for a lot of people it is just about this tag though. and that is sad.