Monday, June 1, 2009

The frost of 2009

Hey wait, this is the first day of June… a summer month. Why am I talking about frost?

I was talking to one of my “Peeps” the other day, and she had mentioned the fact she’s spoken to several musicians in Second Life, and they all recounted tales of diminishing audiences and meager tips. This phenomena might be the reason there is such an upturn in conversations of “Sticking it to venue owners”.

Now I feel I should mention, my attendance is not been affected at this point. Tips are down about 30% and while I’m not happy about that, I’m not unduly concerned. This is an economic frost. A downturn in fortune caused by unfavorable economic factors. While this might shock the crap out of some people, but when the real world economy melts down it’s going to impact the cash flow in Second Life.

When some Mullet head laments the frugality of the venue owners and how he’s got expenses to cover, I can’t help but think, “Hey dude, people are losing their jobs… get real”.

Of course this could have a very positive effect. Frost kills off the weak pants, so perhaps the people fixated on the easy money aspect of Second Life music will split and try some other scam. Perhaps it might also cause a repurposing of the music community (whatever that might be) as well. Second Life music really has little appeal outside of those already involved with it. It’s pretty incestuous and frankly, being one of the more lazy practitioners of the promotion thang, even I see the need to make deeper impact in the mainstream population of Second Life.

I do predict fees becoming scarce, venues closing, and a bunch of the more mercenary musicians storming off in a huff. However, I do see the place where the rainbow goes after the current economical inclemency is over.

I can afford to wait it out. Mind you, not financially afford it, because every penny I get here helps, but the simple fact is I really enjoy playing my music, so smaller tips don’t really affect my desire to play. And when the sun does come out, and it will, I’ll be better situated to enjoy the prosperity.

The frost kills the weak plants. But I’m not weak… and I’m not a plant either.

1 comment:

hexx said...

I added the 'free guys mess up the music business' yadda yadda on my personal shitlist, right next to the 'wicked greedy venue owners' dribble and the 'hey, I invested heavily in my instruments and other gear so I could come and save the world for you with my music' mindfuck.

One never knows, it might come in handy one day.