Thursday, June 25, 2009

Better (!?!?!)

Sometimes warm fuzzy platitudes get accepted as fact when they are not based in any form of reality. The United States of America is founded on such piffle. "All men are created equal".

Ummmm pardon me, but they are not.

All people are created different, and unless you deny the value of anything they are not equal. Some are stronger, some are smarter, and some are born severely handicapped. There is a massive spectrum of potentials locked up in every individual but please keep in mind this is a spectrum.

Michelangelo was an artist for the ages.

Leonardo Da Vinci was also and artist for the ages, an inventor, an anatomist, and the creator of the shroud of Turin.

Leo's pallet of accomplishments were a bit more diverse then Mike's. He had a broader spectrum of potential and seems to employ most of it.

They are not equal at all, but who is better? That depends entirely on the criteria you use to judge worth. Please keep in mind, it' artistic matter the criteria used is very subjective.

You can if you wish, quote me when I say I'm vastly better then most. I honestly believe that, but keep in mind I'm using my criteria not yours. Your criteria probably has a "Humility" slot my criteria lacks.

Why do I have the arrogance to claim superiority? Because on my scale of worth, I rate very well. There are others that do well held up to my criteria, so it's not as egocentric as some seem to think.

So what attributes to I assign value to?

Originality

Simply stated a cover artist is just a musical functionary. They can be replaced by a DJ on a whim. Cover artist appeal to people that don't really like music, they just want to hear something they know, something they are comfortable with.

Original music has value because it comes from one source, the creator of that music. It is the artistic vision of the creator and as such has a greater artistic cache.

Voice

Not the voice you sing with mind you, but the sound of the music. Some have a unique pallet of sounds. While most my readers are familiar with my favorites, Suffice it to say POL Arida, Senjata Witt, Blindboy Gumbo, Lanrete Moonite, Lexie Luan, and The Rails all have their own sound. Keep in mind I'm not talking about a singular sound, but referring to the pallet of sound each uses.

I have heard some very popular act play thier own songs... and for the most part, they sound like the songs they cover. Originality is a matter of content and style.

Depth of Catalog

Every month there is an "Originals" show. A bunch of act come out and play the songs they write. Good on them, I don't have a problem with that.

However doing a 30 minute set doesn't make you a mover and shaker in the world of Original music. It's a start, but just a start.

The real deal Original music commando has a very deep sack of songs to choose from and is always creating new material.

The intangibles

These are attributes hard to quantify, but present. Integrity, vision, drive, and perhaps, "Star Quality". All my favorites have that little extra something that instills value in what they are doing.

On a side note, I remember once seeing a video of a Second Life performer showing how he did what he dose on second life in "Real Life". He used a Looper, and was plugging in a geetar, then a bass, Looping, looping, and yes even more Looping. Plugging Unplugging, and then more looping. It was interesting to watch, until I realized what he was doing was far more interesting then the music he as making. The music actually sucked.

If how you do what you do is more interesting then the music you make, you are not a musician you are a potential "Gong Show" contestant.

Looking at my personal criteria you can probably understand why I'm so impressed with myself. It seems in a world fraught with mediocrity I am.... Better.

No comments: