Sunday, September 6, 2009

Slaves vs. Freemen

A while back, an artist know as “Prince” became “The artist formerly known as Prince”. Some speculate the reason for him changing his name to an unpronounceable symbol was to protest the treatment his record company inflicted upon him.

During one press conference he appeared with the word “Slave” written on his cheek (the one on his face thank you very much). While he didn't comment on the reason for placing that word on his face, most got the meaning loud and clear.

But wait... isn't Prince and or The artist formerly known as Prince some kind of millionaire? Yes indeed he is. But he was upset because while he generated a huge amount of money for his company he only got a small percent of that money.

Price was only a millionaire because he generated billions of dollars for the industry he is involved with. Da Music Biz.

Simply stated, the music industry (the real music industry NOT what passes for a music industry in Second Life) is quite possibly the most exploitive industries devised by man. The average percentage for a piece worker in a sweat shop is higher then standard boiler plate recording contract most new artist sign.

Nine out of ten new artist fail to earn back the advance on their first recording. But even the failures, people that never see one dime from sales earn on average 80,000,000$ for their record company (these figures reflect Major recording industries artist not “Indie” record companies).

If you think I'm making this stuff up, I recommend the book “Confessions of a record producers”. It's a very detailed expose of where the money goes, and hardly any of it ends up in the artist pocket.

Now you may wonder why I bring this up in a blog about Second Life music.

Simple. What passes for a music scene in second life is nothing at all like the real music business. Just about every venue operates at a loss, and most musicians get to keep all they earn.

We performers in Second Life are freemen in a world of slaves. And while I can't speak for everybody, the donation economy works well for me. I also release my own recording and get to keep every penny I earn. I've covered all my operating overhead via my musical adventures in Second Life, and at this point support myself via my tips,fees and sales.

Now the people contending to create a new more profitable music industry in Second Life suggest they are somehow more skilled and professional then this humble song smith. In their eyes I'm a enthusiastic amateur. But why is the enthusiastic amateur thriving in his donation based economy? Because people find value in what I do. The people that choose to pay me a fee find value in what I do as well.

The performers in Second Life have dodged a bullet by not really being profitable enough to exploit.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Suteruni said...

How true that is. I am sure the music business in RL sucks, just like most businesses. I often wonder how things are for musicians in that respect, I never copy music, I BUY CD's that I want.

I bought 1 record of Winston Ackland's in SL, 2 of Tukso Okey's and think I have ALL of yours :D

And about 'quality' , I think that is a matter of taste. The Co-op group mentionned a couple of musicians of which 'I' think of quality musicians, the others I thoughtwere 'OKAY' or I had never heard them. I may tip them when I hear them play but I certainly will not pay in advance.