Sunday, September 20, 2009

A call to ACTION... or another crack pot scheme

Action is required to solve a problem, nothing fixes itself.

Allow me to define the problem. Not enough of the resident in Second Life are interested in Live music. This is, in my very correct opinion the primary problem impeding the growth of the live music scene.

The ratio between performers and audience is wildly disproportionate. Just about anybody can be a performer in Second Life, just go to the average “Open Mic” even and marvel at how low the bar is set.

There are long standing performers that absolutely suck ass. Some ever even popular but not because they are good, it's because they have lots of friend and “Play the game” well. Now when I say Popular, I'm talking about 100 or 200 people popular.

This is a rather myopic form of popularity. If you play on a sim with a limit of 45 avatars, you can seem like freaking Elvis with 100 die hard supporters. But to create a boom economy that would support the more mercenary schemes some people seem to hatch would require a larger market, or more simply put, more residents interested in Live Music.

What action must be taken to build a lager population of music supporters ?

If it where possible for one person to make a difference I would already be taking steps to change things. But no single person has the resource to raise the profile of live music in Second Life. Allow me to suggest steps that can be taken to improve our visibility, and address them to the group that must take the steps.

Listeners

Believe it or not, listeners are the most influential and populous arm of the music community. The Listener to performer ratio is about 8 to 1, and the vast majority of Venue operators also fall into the Listener category. What can listeners do?

Invite a friend.

I mention this at every show I play. Notices, note card, bios, are all a bunch of bullshit compared to the power of an individual sending an IM saying, “You gotta check this act out”. I know I have a new group member that is very excited about my shows and invites her friends. I know about this because one of the friends she invited told me she had invited him. This actually works, and so much effort is spent on rituals like spam that do almost nothing. If you invite a friend, and they invite a friend... and so on.. and so on.. things grow.

Go public with your passion.

I've seen a few venues spamming, “if you love live music write about it on your Face book/ MySpace/Blog”. This is a freaking brilliant idea. I personally love underground media. Most of the more established outlets on music reportage in Second Life are frankly a waste of bandwidth. Lot of coverage is people that are POPULAR rather then good. Traci Nubalo has a Blog called “The Word” and it's one of the best written and passionate Blogs I can think of.

http://tracinubalo-theword.blogspot.com/


Tip and Vote

The majority of the mercenary hub-bub revolves around money and support. Any tip is better then no tip at all. I've personally never had a show that I walked away from without something in the tip jar (unless it was a charity show), the way some people carry on you might think they can't say that.

When I say, “Tipping the venue is supporting Live music in Second Life” I mean every syllable. Tier Fees are a real, and every L$ you give means a little less of a bite out of the venue operators pocket.

If you have Lindens, please tip and if you don't please click on the “Vote” box. Hey even if you do tip the venue it doesn't hurt to click the vote box. Show some support.

In my case, I pay my meager bills with meager Second Life earnings. Simply put, if you tip me well I eat better. I have one supporter that tips me 13 L$ every show, and I'm remarkably grateful for it. While I would not mind larger tip... it all adds up.

The Venue Operators

First off let me state my policy concerning fees. If someone ask me what my fee is, I tell them whatever they find reasonable I'm comfortable with. I don't turn away shows that are tips only.

That being said, when a show is “tips only”, for goodness sake, it's the venue operators responsibility to do everything possible to ensure the largest audience possible for the Performer that is taking a gamble on the generosity of the crowd.

The simplest and most effective way of drawing a crowd is to post the event in “Live Music Events” at the Second Life web site. This ends up in world and most people browse the events listing to find a show to attend. If you don't list the event, it's like it's not even happening to most people in Second Life.

The word “Professional” get bounced around a lot in Second Life. But before we get to the realm of “Professionalism” we need to come to grips with competency.

Operating a venue in theory is easy. Let the performer do his or her job, and make sure the people that want to be there can be there and enjoy the show. Of course in practice, it can get a little complicated. But keep at it and your rewards will be great... I think.

The Performers.

While the Listeners make up the biggest part of the music scene, performers bare an awesome responsibility for making the scene grow.

Don't suck.

Seems simple, but some guys just can't get their heads around this idea. I could point fingers and name names, but if you are a performer and are wondering if I'm talking about you... quit. Something inside you is already telling you that you suck. People lack confidence because they have nothing to be confident in.

I never for a moment doubt the worth of what I do. But I also constantly strive to move forward as an artist.

When a performer sucks and continues to perform, he takes a slot on “Live music events” and due to some fluke of fate, somebody ends up at a concert and decided the whole music scene in Second Life is a waste of time.

Speaking of quitting, if you quit... stay quit.

You were right, you don't belong here or anywhere else in music. I'm not talking about people that take a break. That is understandable. One of the all time GREATS in Second life music took a break, and came back breathing fire. That is a world away from the lewzer that quit because they get their panties in a wad, then come back.

Lots of people need to quit in order for the probability of some one ending up at a concert that might convince them Second Life music is worth their attention.

Build a following one listener at a time.

There are so many harebrained schemes for building a following you gotta wonder what the fuck people are thinking. The old fashion way is playing your ass off. When you get in front of a pair of fresh ears be ready to “make them a believer”.

Every show brang it.
If there are two people there, brang it.

I know you want a shortcut, but there isn't one. Impress the new listeners and challenge the veteran listeners.

Take risks

I know one hack that has been playing the same songs since I first saw him over a year ago. He's been grinding away on Second Life forever so he's got a lot of friends. But he bores the crap out of me. When you play the same shit over and over you are going to get bored, and people don't find boredom very interesting.

Be a ROCKSTAR

I'm a ROCKSTAR on Second Life. I act like one. Perception is reality. If you don't have much talent, be everybody's friend. But if you have something of worth, be a Second Life ROCKSTAR.

Please note I'm not saying be a DICK, but rather be a ROCKSTAR.

Put yourself in the shoes of somebody that is attending his or her first live music event in Second Life.

“Everybody's friend” is playing, and he's going “Stuck in the middle with... hey Sally how you doing..You.. thank you for the tip BigEnoch... Stuck in the middle of my second life with... Hey Marko how is your foot feeling... with YOOOOOUUU”.

Yes the people on the “Inside” feel accommodated but to the new potential listener, they are thinking “Everybody's friend” is a goofball.. if you are lucky.

The same potential listener at a ROCKSTAR'S show, hears a song done front to back played well, No personal greetings mid song and tips are acknowledged between songs. To put the audience first a ROCKSTAR puts the music first.

Talent, passion, drive, and a massive ego are the building blocks of a ROCKSTAR, and frankly people are more impressed with ROCKSTARS then with Everybody's friend.

I personally attempt to be accessible while being a ROCKSTAR, and that accessibility is a large part of the charm of Second Life.

And finally put the music first.

There is so much bullshit going on in Second Life. So much drama it almost seems like drama season. To keep you head screwed on tight, keep your focus on the music.

I came here to play music. I wish to see the music scene blossom. Personally I'm putting music first and I suggest any performer worth their salt do the same.

Action can address the problem... or we can do what we are doing now. Things that don't work.

1 comment:

hexx said...

To get the word out for a show, it never hurts to post it on Twitter and Facebook as well, right before you start. With (of course) the SLurl of the venue and, if possible, the stream URL so people can listen without being in SL.