Monday, October 12, 2009

And then the story gets WEIRD

I put a lot of hard work into my name.

As I write this entry, I've Logged 983 shows in Second Life, released seven mp3 collections (not including live, compilation, and story teller collections), and manage to write a somewhat amusing blog about my musical adventures in Second life.

I work hard to bring value to my name, and because of that investment I deserve to reap the benefits of my name. I'm the one that made it worth something.

The People at “Stream Scene” (cue laugh track), seem to think they can use anybodies name however they see fit to make a few Lindens. This is fundamentally wrong, Ethically reprehensible, and actually illegal.

Now let me say this. If they were just having a popularity contest it would be lame. But when you charge people to both nominate and vote for people, it's a scam.

THE STREAM SCENE AWARDS ARE A SCAM.

This is all about squeezing a few Lindens out of the small but excitable music community, and since this is all about COMMUNITY (Yippy wholesome family values) they seem to feel they have Cart Blanche to do whatever they see fit.

I sent Twisted Ruggles a Note card asking to be removed. She informed me THEY didn't nominate me the COMMUNITY did. Then she told me what a hateful personality I had and yadda yadda blah blah. Suffice it to say, she said they would remove my name from the list.

Expected and yeah... that's good.

Then it gets WEIRD.

Then... I get a note from the “BIG WIG” at Lame ass inter-web broadcasting and he informs me, There is no way to know what avatar nominated me, so there was no way to refund their money. This is how I found out nominations were paid for.

I wasn't nominated by THE COMMUNITY at all. Some faceless Avatar nominated me, and paid good money to do so.

I would like to thank Faceless Avatar for their considerations, but if you want to tell me you think I'm spiffy just give me a tip. I'll thank you for that as well.

Since my blog about the subjects, some heavy hitters have been nominated. Like Miles Davis.. and Satan. Crap... how did they find out my real life identity.

Of course Stream Scene accepted the nominations and the fees those nominations incurred.

Currently one of the nominees is sending out a note card to the other nominees, informing them about their nomination and inviting them to consider opting out. No... it's not me.

Now let me ask you this. If they don't know who nominated me... or anyone else. What kind of validation are they going to have during the voting?

Probably none whatsoever and all that really matters is the money coming in. I'm sure every vote will be paid for.

Hey, doesn't the term “Every vote paid for” give you a really bad feeling?

I predict there will be an award given. Not everyone will opt out simply because many of the people in second life require the validation an award... or even a nomination brings.

I'm very sure Manhood Wanker will activate his drones to lead him to GLORIOUS VICTORY. Because he's the kind of guy that needs “Stream Scene Music Award Winner” on his resume to make him feel like he has a dick.

I already have a dick, I have great music and to some people I'm one of their Favorite Second Life musicians. I never pretend to be mainstream or popular. But what I have, I've earned the hard way, but working for it.

And one of my proudest possessions is my name.

I am Zorch and I am the future of music in Second Life... and so humble.

5 comments:

Senjata said...

I must add to this tale of confusion and woe that I have spoken at length with Twsted, and we did not part on bad terms, though I am still not clear where exactly all those 30L fees are going, despite her efforts to assure me that they'd be well and fairly paid to various staffers involved in the project all of whom attend our shows, and often tip generously. (true, at least, of Twsted, i do know.)

Primarily though, I am left with the distinct feeling that Twsted is a well-meaning fan who has been a victim of her own enthusiasm, and someone else's scam. For the record and officially, I'd say I don't think she herself intended to scam anyone- only failed to understand just how critical it is with such events to be CRYSTAL clear and transparent about who's paying what, when how much and to whom, and WHY. Likewise to not "try to notify the nominees as quickly as they come in" but rather, to absolutely notify EVERYONE and give them the option to DECLINE the nomination. EVERY fan of Zorch knows how he feels about awards proceedings. Someone was not paying attention in class *lol* But as for the rest of us, NOT everyone knows. So it's the absolute responsiblity of any group wanting to involve any of us to contact us, and allow us to refuse, BEFORE they put our name up for grabs this way.

My thanks to you Z, for bringing all this to our attention- only wish it had come to light sooner.

Zorch said...

I never attribute to evils what can be explained by incompetence... and Greed.

The fact there is such a disconnect about why I might be upset only underlines their cluelessness.

Suteruni said...

I was sent that voting machine and when I paid to vote on it, 10L was paid to 3 people each. One being the maker of the voting thing, the other Twsted I think and another person, forgot the name.

The whole thing has been badly organised. I am in lots of groups and only this weekend most heard of it for the first time. When they seem to have started in August. So suddenly there was a rush on the voting and they extended the deadline.

So what does it come down to? There are a lot of great musicians in SL and they have a lot of great supporters that will do whatever they can to show their appreciation. And there are ppl that like to make money out of this. Perhaps it wasn't intended this way but it sure feels that way after everything seems to be about money lately instead of music.

Zorch said...

Zorch = Still about the Music

Unknown said...

Seems Twisted was acting in good faith yet missed understanding when money, be it lindens or US$ are involved the spotlight shifts from the music to the money. Easy enough to happen if you have not a lot of rl experience. So benefit of doubt given here clearly. As performers you are the product.. you have full and singular rights to your name .. your image... the music. We the fans have no rights to you the product.. yet as fans what we can do is promote attendance. We can encourage and explain how supporting the music with our Linden "tips" builds a better foundation of music. I do tell friends to only tip if you really enjoyed the music.. only stay for the show if you like the music.. asking them to NOT encourage those that are just dipping toes in to see if they "can play and sing"... If someone is over their head musically it should be discovered quickly in a place like this and the fans should look elsewhere. I'm really really nice but trust me I should not sing... so far I am not alone. As fans we have a job, it is to support and bring more into the fan base of those we think "good", and to say no thanks and walk politely away from the wannabes. And in general rl and sl... always skip voting for anything that ask you to pay for a vote. Senjata... Z you are both right in removing yourself from being exploited. Number one fact.. if you are for sale then you should be gaining the profit..no one else has that right. And damn every 30L vote is 30L less in the tip jars of all the good musician's here.