Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's a slap in the face just to be nominated

For those of you that are new to this Blog, allow me to inform you on my stance toward Music awards doled out in Second Life. They are all bullshit. They have nothing to do with determining the best and have everything to do with establishing an orthodoxy.

Of course all awards are about establishing orthodoxy. Even the Noble Prize says they get to determine whom made the most significant advances in a given field, and frankly those in the know are pretty suspect of endorsement of the Noble Prize committee.

Currently a Unknown (for the most part), web show, The Stream Scene is hosting awards, and by some fluke, I seem to be nominated for “Favorite Pop Artist”. How that happened I don't have a clue. I could classify my music by many labels but POP would not be one of them. I would not have known about this nomination if I was not informed by a nominee for “Favorite Folk Artist”,and I've never heard her sing one folk song.

I did check out the nominee page and found it to be full of errors.

Peregrine Singh is nominated for several categories. However Peregrine, in a fit of drama deleted his account moths ago. WTF?

Favorite Band features “Friendly Fire” Nominated twice in the same category. Very professional.

Favorite Song writer/composer lacks the inclusion of Second Life's best songwriter... Me, and includes Von Johin whom as far as I know, only plays covers.

Favorite Reggae Artist includes Russell Eponym, and I can't imagine why. I've seen Russell's show a bunch of times and I've never heard any Reggae. Even if he did one reggae song while I was not looking, would that make him a reggae artist?

Manhood Wanker is nominated for everything he's remotely qualified for, and frankly I think he'll win. Not because he's good mind you, but anybody stupid enough to support Manhood Wanker is stupid enough to spend 30 L$ per vote to show their LOVE.

Yes... it cost money to vote.

So when they put my name on their list, they are using my cache to put linden in their pockets. That is exploitation, they do not have my permission to use my name.

The Stream Scene is an embarrassment to anybody interested in music. Their show consist of the worse kind of fluff from people that don't have a clue what journalism is, or what is entertaining to watch. The Stream Scene takes all that is banal about Second Life music and passes it though a bland filter. Yes I was featured on the show once, I agreed to do it before I realized what I was agreeing to, and the end results was, “Zork (yes they called me Zork the whole time) has a clear bright voice and dresses like a pirate”. I changed my look drastically after that show in hopes people would think they were actually talking about some guy named Zork.

I intend to get my name off the list if I can. If they refuse, I'll get my lawyers on it. And if you support me DO NOT vote for me. This is probably the biggests indignity visited upon me during my Non-career in Second Life music.

8 comments:

Zorch said...

in case you are interested here is a copy of the message I sent the listed owner of Stream Scene.

It's been brought to my attention I've been listed as a nominee for your lame ass award.

You are using my name and reputation to try and pry 30L$ from my supporters and I do not approve.

Your show is a joke and I do not wish to be associated with it in any way.

Remove my name from your list immediately.

Zorch Boomhauer

R. said...

*applauds*

Suteruni said...

Looks like they acted on your request, I did not see your name anywhere this morning ( my time )

I discovered anyone can nominate any musician by paying and typing the name in chat. That would explain Russell being posted in the Reggae catagory :D I added a new musician in SL, Zen Qork in the classical catagory and his name shows as just : Qork. LOL

Furthermore, the organisers have decided to extend the voting time till October the 15th, guess because since this weekend ppl have been voting like crazy for their favourite musicians:
http://abuent.web44.net/voteboard/index.php?page=about

I wonder what the winning musicians get as a prize?

Zorch said...

The longer they let people vote the more money they can make. Kind of proves no matter how inept a person is they can still run a scam in Second Life.

Suteruni said...

perhaps I am having an 'SL-offday' but I find this very sad. Ofcause fans of various musicians are eager to vote for their idols, and is 'only' 30L, not like paying a cover charge fee of at least 200L.
I would say : another slap in the face to live music supporters.

Senjata said...

I'm going you one better, Z... I'm sending a notification to EVERY performer listed as a nominee. Excluding of course, those who could not be contacted. Like SATAN, and Miles Davis. *LOL* Swear to god- they are both listed.

I am appalled. Mildly flattered, knowing that some well-meaning fan likely nominated me... but appalled that anyone would think they could just slap my name on a list and ask people to pay 30Ls per name they liked. LAME and shady and RUDE.

Roxy Balboa aka Lexie said...

Z. I couldn’t agree more… its such a joke. It truly amazes me how people continue to dream up ways to extort money from music lovers on this program. When I play at a venue and it’s attended, I know I am appreciated. When I release my mp3 collection and people buy it, that shows huge support and respect for my music. It truly sickens me to think that any musician on this program is so desperate to be the victor they would allow a third party to extort money from their fans. I would like to believe that most of the musicians that have been nominated aren’t aware that their fans are being used and abused. If the concept was created for the fun if it … then the voting should be free… all in the name of fun. Where is that money going anyway? So here’s the deal…(for me) Who ever paid to nominate me, thank you, I truly appreciate the thought .Let me know who you are I would be more than happy to reimburse you for your trouble since I will not be part of this contest. Though flattered that someone wanted to put my name on the ballet, I am repelled at the methodology that’s involved to participate. If you really want to show support…I play all over second life, come see me and tip the venues the 30L ….all in the name of fun and supporting live music in second life.Now lets rock and roll !

hexx said...

Charging people to vote in an online poll. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cover Charge System is used for the Stream Scene Music Award Gala on Metaverse Island. Artists will of course be expected to perform for free, since this is a benefit to raise the profile of live music in SL.