Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fuck you

Wait perhaps that title might seem a bit negative.

Goodness, what will people think? What will people say?

There is an old saying, “Keep your friends close, and you enemies closer”. Most people smile knowingly when this is said, but they are really missing the point. That point being your closer enemies provide you with a protective cushion from the relentless daggers of those whom insist they are friends, and you won't feel all that bad when one of you enemies takes a misdirected blade.

The other day a “So-called” friend informed me she had something to talk to me about. What she really meant was, “We need to talk”. Had she said “We need to talk” I would have been properly warned and avoided her until something shiny distracted her. I would have been living in that more perfect world I long for.

When we finally started communicating (one sided), she had informed me that EVERYBODY in the music community hates me. My friends think I'm an asshole, and I'm too negative.

Gee thanks friend, but you forgot, “I hope you die of aids”.

Of course it might seem like everybody in the music community hates me, because I say a the majority of performers in Second Life suck, and most are so well aware of their short comings they KNOW I'm talking about them.

I also insist most of the self proclaimed experts are full of shit. The movers and shakers in Second Life music are nothing more then fart bubbles in a very small pond.

As for my friends thinking I'm an asshole... well sometimes I am. When it comes to friendship, I'm open to the concept. But I've given up on trying to provide people what they expect from our friendship because I'm never sure what they expect, and some expectations are unreasonable. They are quite welcome to what I have to offer, but expecting more will leave them disappointed.

Am I too negative? Hell no. Sometimes I'm quite positive, but I do negative songs as well. It's called being well rounded. Being honest. Being an artist.

I feel I should state emphatically, I've never intended to become more Popular then the quality of my music could make me. Unnamed people speaking evil of me either have never heard my music, or don't care about the quality of music.

I show up on time, play the best show I can every time, and even when it's not my BEST show it's still vastly better then 98% of the crap posing as music on Second Life. I treat venue owners with courtesy and suggest people stay to watch the act following me no matter how bad they are. I encourage people to tip and vote for the venues and have a pretty solid working relationship everywhere I play.

My more controversial opinions are only expressed on this blog, and perhaps on the Zorch-cast. I'm not a forum troll and I don't start fights in group chats.

I don't even hang out in Second Life, I come to get ready for shows and then play them, then it's back to the warm comforting embrace of real life.

Why do I elicit such strong emotions from people I don't even know? And why do “So-called Friends” insist on telling me that EVERYBODY in the Second Life Music Community hates me? And most important of all..... why do I just not care?

I don't care because it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because it doesn't effect the music. My music is great and I'm sure when I die everybody will talking about just how great it was. Of course I won't hear them saying that, but I don't need to. I already know how great it is.

As for now, people that do love my music are welcome to attend as many shows as they like. Those that find me an abomination to all they love and hold dear are welcome to avoid me in droves. Hey if you really hate me, you can join my group and avoid me with pin point accuracy.

I sit around writing songs, I sit around playing musical instruments, but I've never sat around wondering how to make people like me. Music is all I have to offer. Great music. And if that is not enough.... Fuck you.

7 comments:

domanita said...

Well stated rebuttal, Zorch. With friends like that, who needs enemies?! I hate people. In general, and individually as well.

R. said...

The best argument against "Everybody in the music community hates you" is "They can't agree on anything. Even that."

-ls/cm

Roxy Balboa aka Lexie said...

Everyone "hates you", who is "everyone"? Oh wait, you mean all the people that show up to see your show after show, day after day? Are they the ones that hate you? Wait, maybe its the people that while buying you most recent collection , are already asking you when your next one is coming out. Gotta love friends that make stupid remarks (but typical coming from a "drama magnet".... )

H said...

I would kinda considered myself as part of the SL music community(?), and I definitely do not hate you, in fact I love ya in a non creepy way!
Therefore that so called friend of yours is wrong, not everyone hates ya! Tell them to go swivel!

Senjata said...

Zorch is "an arrogant asshole." Who's that quoting from? Zorch. When I met you, Z, you were one of the very first to sorta warn me of that. Yes, tongue in cheek, but you did say it out loud. On mic, as I recall. So try not to be too upset when some people buy too much of something that you do in fact market. The truth is, Zorch is arrogant and often humble in a heartbreaking kinda way. Zorch is outrageous and simple, outspoken and soft-spoken, obnoxious and adorable. In short, you are indelible.

Whatever folks may or may not say out loud, you get talked about. You DO get talked about. And your name is well known. And there is an oft-quoted phrase which is at least half true: There is no bad press. I don't love all of your songs- I'm sure you don't love all of mine, but they and you both make an impression, and a deep one. If I get fussy now and then because of something I thought I heard you say, take that as a compliment- what you think matters to me. And I doubt you would ruffle so many feathers if what you think didn't matter to people at all.

Zorch said...

Well the actual quote was "Arrogant bastard" bestowed on me by one "Ch-arm March". But for the record I'm sometimes an asshole as well, and probably arrogant while being an asshole.

Nya Raymaker said...

I don't actually think this is about liking a certain song or not liking. not even about songs making an expression. I know, I know, blogs are not the place for treading carefully and stating non-controversial things :) however... I can't help but noticing a certain drift in Zorch's songs, that sometimes makes me worry as well. not about his music or about his career. but simply how he is doing. cause aside from being a musician and songwriter he is human. :) at least I think so... last time I checked he was :)
guess I'd be willing to give the friend the benefit of the doubt and consider if it is maybe a conversation gone horribly wrong.