Monday, August 11, 2008

The backward binocular effect

I learned something the other day, and when I learn something I feel obligated to share that information.

Sunday night I was playing a show at Boogie Beach, one of my favorite venues. Often I follow a performer doing something that kind of fits in with what I do, guitar and voice, but last night they had a guy singing with backup tracks, and this guy was a personality dynamo. Now for the record, I don’t consider performing with back up tracks live music, however I do understand the entertainment value. The audience gets a full band experience, and the performer doesn’t have to deal with full band overhead. While it makes sense on an economic/audience experience scale it’s still not LIVE MUSIC.

Did I mention this guy was a personality dynamo? He wasn’t high energy he was HIGH ENERGY !!!! (Yes. With four exclamation marks). The beach was PACK and people were having a great time (if you read the main chat window). I was sure when I started playing the place would empty out. I didn’t see how my thoughtful acoustic singer/songwriter shtick could compete with a personality dynamo.

I played my set and the beach didn’t clear out at all. As a matter of fact it seems seven new people joined my group “Zorch Nation”. That is the most people that have ever joined during a single show.

What did I learn from this?

Boogie Beach looks like a bunch of scantily dressed people frolicking on the beach, but that is not who is listening. Every listener on that beach is sitting in front of their computer and dealing with whatever comes down the stream at a personal level. Yes, personality dynamos seem to work for the simulated party and everybody plays along. But that does not prevent even the most streamlined of acts from making a connection with that single listener at the end of the stream.

No comments: