Sunday, August 31, 2008

The inherent value of real

Technology is locking me out of a gig I’ve been looking forward to for a month. Since I’m kind of pissed off about this twist of fate, I think I’ll ramble a bit. My mind is in ramble mode at the moment, so I might as well write it down even if I’m not sure when I’ll be able to post it.

I want to talk about real. Not real like “I’m a real life musician”, but real like actual, genuine, factual, and most importantly valuable.

I’ve been noting the activity around my shows lately. Listening to comments and with this anecdotal data I’m going to make some conclusions. While this is in no way scientific, I feel the conclusions might have a good deal of validity to them.

First a few comments from listeners. I do read IM’s during the show and find them quite informative.

One listener commented, “I like your music because it seems to be about REAL stuff”.

One listener commented after a show I did while still dealing with a cold, “Even when you can’t sing your best the music is still powerful and moving. The emotions are so REAL”.

One listener commented, “I know you didn’t write that song for me… but it feels like you did”.

An observation, I see many of the same people at my shows. While this is normal and to be expected, but the fact they show up at consecutive shows in the same day begs the question why?

In an effort to understand this I examine my own behavior. Why do I go to every POL show I can get to? The simple answer is because I know I’m going to get something of value. His music provides me with inspiration and actually moves me. I feel the desperation of “Where the birds fall down”. I’m awash in the melancholy of “Welcome to winter”. I tear up when I hear “Mother of three”. These songs become alive because of the emotional content, and POL sings each song with the full scope of that content intact.

They are REAL. They resonate with me as a human being.

While there are difference between POL and myself, the one area we both seem to inhabit is a love for emotional content. Perhaps this is another reason show we play together have such impact. More on this later.

When I sing, “you’re a freak, and I don’t like the guys you fuck”, the emotional content drives the sub text of the song home. When I sing, “I would walk the wall of love for you”. The very simple line of the song comes to life because of the emotional content of its delivery. Even when I sing “The Lawyer song”, people can connect with the anger of getting fucked over. While it is a song presented in a humorous way that does nothing to diminish the message, or the dilute the listeners emotional connection.

I’m concluding in a very non-scientific way, the listener is responding to the emotional content of my music. It seems REAL to them.

Remember a few paragraphs up when I mentioned there would be more on the POL/Zorch connection? Well here it is.

Today I played my first show where I was paid a fee to play. Note I didn’t ask for a fee, it was offered. I even told them I would be fine playing for just tips, but they insisted on paying me a fee. I booked that gig by playing a few songs for them after one of POLs performances.

Perhaps it would be reasonable to suggest that the emotional authenticity they found valuable in POLs music, made my music similarly valuable.

During my first paying show, I received an IM from another venue owner. I had played as a guest before one of POLs shows before at that venue, and they seemed to be interested in booking me for my own show. Once again I offered to play for tips, once again they still offered a fee.

Perhaps it would be reasonable to suggest that the emotional authenticity they found valuable in POLs music, made my music similarly valuable. And yes I did copy and paste that.

Now don’t get confused here, I’m not in any way obsessing over fees and thinking that is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The fact that people are willing to pay a fee indicates they see some value in what I do. The fact people will attend two shows in one day also indicates value. The fact that people choose to stop and comment, not just “Good set” comments but well thought out attempts to communicate also implies they find value in what I do.

I want people to value what I do because it’s valuable to me. When it connects, and resonates with someone, that is a very profound thing.

Second life only seems fake. The thing that makes it interesting are the real people with real lives and real emotions. When the emotional content of music is real, the value of that music to real people increases.

People talk a lot about raising music awareness in Second Life. They plot and plan and scheme and launch MEGA events that do nothing. The problem being so much of what passes for music in Second life is patently fake. Flame shooting guitars with double back flip animations played out in front of fully produced backing tracks might seem like a wicked cool trick. But in the end, it’s a puppet show and real people are not puppets. Unless the flame spewing acrobats plays something that connects with people, it’s just technical masturbation. I’m sure some find it a pleasant distraction, but that is like watching something on TV because there is nothing else good on.

Goodness, this is a long-winded entry. Allow me to present my conclusion.

In a world getting swallowed up by valueless piffle, REAL becomes very valuable. To raise the awareness of music, raise the emotional content and value of that music.

No comments: