Saturday, August 9, 2008

Learning to deal with twisted reality

I spend a good deal of time in Second Life trying to figure out which way is up. I’m just starting to get a clue and I thought I might share some observations with you.

I’ve been marveling at the fact that even the most horrible musicians have fans. Ardent fans. Fans losing their mind at the end of EVERY song. Kite Looming as fans, so does Bosco Constantine, and while I’m bringing it up. I have fans as well.

At the end of every show people say “Kite… great set man you RAWKED dude”, or “Bosco is AMAZZZZING”, or “Zorch is AWESOME”.

This really uses to upset me, not because I begrudge people a bit of attention. But if people heap praise on the most talent less… what value does their praise have to me? Do I suck as bad as Kite and Bosco? Do I over value my talents? Should I shut the hell up?

Then I had an epiphany.

In Second Life I own a Martin D-45 guitar. It cost me 2000 L$ and while it think it’s quite neat, I can’t really play it. I can look like my avatar is playing it, but it’s not really a guitar at all, just some primitives and a texture.

I know people that own Harley’s they can’t really ride, horses they don’t have to clean up after, and houses they can’t really live in.

While this is one of the things the general population of the world has a problem justifying, for Second Life residences, it’s how things work.

It seems to me the whole Second Life rock star phenomenon works the same way. Talent is less essential then ownership. While that might seem like I’m suggesting some form of slavery I’m not. Fans feel ownership of their favorite simulated rock stars just like the feel ownership of their simulated houses or simulated vehicles

I know of one woman that attends every Maximillion Kleen show she can. She feels she is supporting Max by doing this, but the simple fact is, if she didn’t attend his shows, the Sims he plays would still be packed out. But in her own way she feels obligated to her Second life Rockstar.

While I would like to deceive myself into thinking all my fans are fans of the music, but it seems unlikely that is the case. Some probably find me charming and personable and they desire to give me support because of their fondness. Of course I’m not that charming and personable, so I’m sure a few enjoy the music. Now I don’t mind attention gained because I’m so freaking cool to hang out with. But those people really don’t need to feel obligated to come to my shows.

However, I understand my awareness of this “Simulated Rock Star phenomena” doesn’t really change anything. But understanding it does give me a measure of peace. I’m as good or talented as I’ve ever thought I was, and in effect nothing has changed, we must all find value in ourselves as to what we do. External validation only leads to compromise.

Please keep in mind I’m not a simulated rock star. At the end of the stream is a real live human being, pouring his heart and soul into a microphone. In my humble opinion that is lots cooler then being any kind of a rock star.

No comments: