Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Building a more perfect world… for me

Goodness the title to this entry sounds horribly selfish. Building a more perfect world is a wonderful idea. But to do it for ones own benefit seems a bit priggish.

But I don’t see it as selfish, priggish or any other kind of ish. I see it as honest.

I could cop out and say nobody is selfless, and for the most part that is true. But there are a sad few with so little to offer and so little to lose; they constantly sublimate themselves to a grander ego. So in effect they are selfless but still subordinate to an individual’s ego and agenda. In effect they are selfish for somebody else’s benefit and that is just wacky.

What are the features of my more perfect world?

Pretty simple really. People get to hear my music and decide if they want to hear more. Those that want more I provide more for them.

With a plan so simple, you think it would be easy. No so much so. I’m learning a lot and become less ill informed every day. I’m taking steps toward being informed and hoping some day to reach “Well-informed”.

This is what I’ve learned so far.

The music community is broken because there isn’t one. There are people making something like music, then holding hands and singing Kumbyah. But the end results are just a bunch of people singing Kumbyah badly.

There are some amazing artists in Second Life. Most of which are summarily dismissed by the Kumbyah choir.

Some venues are all about the venue operator’s ego. Some venues are all about the music.

Strip clubs gigs, even if they are paying gigs, are never worth the bother.

If people don’t tip the venue, sometimes they really do go away.

If everything is good, nothing is good.

There are no experts only people pretending to be experts

People in Second Life are… crazy. No kidding. But then people in First Life are crazy too.

So armed with this bit of hard won knowledge, what methodology do I employ to build my more perfect world?

Always play the best show I can. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Support as best I can the venues that support artist, and direct other artist to their door.

Be true to the people that support my music. Never change in order to broaden my appeal, but rather, change in order to challenge the listener and myself.

Enhance as much as I can, the organic community growing around me.

Point to the artist of worth, and ignore those that suck.

Write an interesting blog *smirks *.

This is the current methodology, and it may change as I become better informed. Let’s see how it all works out.

Building a more perfect world… for me… is a lot of work. But hopefully, in the end it will be worth it.

No comments: