Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ten questions from Nyx. #1 What brands of guitars do you use during your SL live events?

A while back I asked the members of the Zorch Nation to submit questions for an interview. So far, only Nyx has answered the call. I'm going to answer her ten questions one at a time in serial form here on the blog. The full interview is almost 3,000 words, so lets take it one question at a time.

1. What brands of guitars do you use during your SL live events?

When I started out in Second life, I was playing an Alverez RD205CE. This is the guitar that fell off the guitar stand and broke it’s neck. It was the guitar I was planning on growing old with, but such is life.

Thanks to the swift and generous aid of the Zorch Nation, I was soon playing an Ovation Celebrity, and that is the guitar I play the standard tuning portion of my show with until this very day.

A few months after buying the Ovation, I started messing around with songs using DADGAD tuning. For a while I would retune in the middle of the show and this would wreak havoc on my strings. Once the show started going 50% standard tuning, and 50% DADGAD tuning I decided to buy a second guitar. Of course, I didn’t have much money to spend on this instrument. I picked a Rouge model RAGCEQ from Musicians friend.

I suspect most musicians know about Musicians friend and the Rouge line of musical instruments. They aren’t the best, but they are affordable. The guitar is a 000 body acoustic/electric. Small, easy to handle and actually sounds good. It’s not particularly finger friendly, but works well for my style of playing in DADGAD. I basically bash the hell out of it. So far it has not exploded into a pile of toothpicks.

A footnote, the majority of “Songs in the key of Green” are in DADGAD tuning, and all the DADGAD songs are played on the Rouge. It doesn’t sound like a cheap guitar on the recording at all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.