Friday, December 12, 2008

Ten questions from Nyx, #3 Besides guitar, what other instrument(s) can/do you play?

3. Besides guitar, what other instrument(s) can/do you play?

I started life as piano player, and I still play from time to time. The reason I don’t play it on Second Life is because I don’t really own a piano, just a MIDI keyboard and a sampler that has a good piano sample. I can’t get the sampler program to run while running Second life and winamp for a stream, so I don’t use it in performances.

My first music job was pianist in a recording studio.

When I was 12, I saw Johnny Cash on TV. He was signing a song, all dressed in black, and I remember him slinging his guitar behind his back, walking up to the mic to say something. I don’t remember what he said into the mic, I don’t remember the song he was singing before he slung his guitar back, but something about that moment made me think, “I’ve gotta get a gee-tar, that is bad ass cool”.

My Father had a friend, Fred Sommers who was much like the grandfather I never had. I actually had two grandfathers, but Fred was like...actually interested in me as a person. He made me a guitar (or Gee-tar) with his own two hands. He really didn’t know how to make a guitar, but wanted me to have one, and figured it could not be that hard. I recall it had masking tape position markers on the neck, and thumb tacks to hold the strap on. But it did have a strap, and for weeks I was walking around with the gee-tar slung behind me Johnny Cash style.

When I tried to actually play it, it spilt down the front. Seem it could not handle being tuned to pitch. But I still remember that guitar and thanks Fred for being a cool old man.

Getting back to the actual question, I play the Keys, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Banjo, Mandolin, Dobro, and Harmonica.

If you want to know how well I play these instruments that is hard to say. I seem to be able to get something musical out of all of them. Any performances recorded are me playing. And I’ve won awards for playing the Guitar, Banjo, and Dobro.

No comments: