Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Starting over... Again

This blog is my attempt to get back in the habit of blogging. I've had my hands full in “Real Life ™ “ for the last few month and I really need to get back on the blogging horse.

Frankly my Un-career in Second Life Music is not going as well as it once did. Most would point to varying factors as you why things are slowing down. But it's clear a good deal of this slump is my own doing. Or more to the point... my lack of doing.

It took me six months to get “Ashes and Dreams” to market. I have a handful of excuses, but no matter what the reason, what ever momentum “Shadow and Light” created was totally dispersed by the time my more current release saw the light of day. Simply put you snooze you loose.

The lack of update on this blog have probably caused it to drop off most people radar. The blog is a valuable asset to my Un-career because it allows me to express my thoughts in the least oblique fashion and gives people a feeling they know the man behind the cartoon (or even music).

ZorchBoom.com is a mess, the music section doesn't work as it once did, and I need to address that. Time for a redesign perhaps.

Tips are down, about half what they use to be, and fee shows are welcome... but far and few between. Of course I don't troll around looking for shows to play. But that is also a matter of sloth. The few fee shows I play are for sum far lower then most in Second Life. I do pay my bills and feed myself with the money I make in Second Life. I seem to be getting ends to meet, but it's always tight and I have no illusion of security.

When looking for ways to improve my situation, there is one area I don't think I can improve much upon, and that is the music/performances. My show is so tight it squeaks. This should be a good thing, however talent or professionalism as a musician mean little if you don't have the machinery in place that turn musical brilliance into money.

One thing I am doing to improve my situation is playing a show in real life. While it's not a HUGE MONEY show it is money, and frankly between you and I, I'll make more in one real life night then I've made this week in Second Life. However I'm not giving up on Second Life, I'm just diversifying my performance opportunities.

I must do the things that need to be done. I've been letting things slide too long, and this is a major part of my “Job”. I've gotta get good at playing the promotion game. I need to keep interesting things happening around me. I need to get better at working with people.

Now if I do all the things outlined above things will improve and in time get back to where they once were. But where they once were, is still not very lucrative. There is a more profound task before me. One I'll begin to outline in the next blog entry.

4 comments:

R. said...

Mind if I send Delinda Dyrssen "Dance On The Edge Of A Sword" ?

She works with Paisley and others, well-respected as a spotter for folks. And I think that's the highlight of the new collection.

-ls/cm

Zorch said...

Permission granted. I would go so far as to say "Dance on the Edge of a Sword" is one of the highlights of my songwriting career.

domanita said...

Tight, indeed. You are an excellent musician, Zorch.

Roxy Balboa aka Lexie said...

well it took you long enough... just kidding... you know z... you put out one hell of a collection. Ashes and Dreams was worth waiting for. Ive missed your blog... (Its just so metal) and look forward to all you have to say, and I know you have alot to say.