Thursday, November 6, 2008

Making tracks

Its times like this I realize what an unusual relationship of have with my listeners. Recently I’ve posted some previews of songs form the upcoming release, “Songs in the key of Green”, and while it’s not odd to try and drum up some interest in any release, it’s the nature of the previews that is quite different.

Permit me to explain.

Most previews are fished tacks designated as singles. But the preview tracks are far from finished. The recording process is broken in to three stages, Tracking, Mixing, and Mastering. The preview songs are tracked, and just mixed enough to make sense of what you are hearing. Basically you are getting a very good idea of the kind of performances that are recorded and while I’m pleased with them, presenting is somewhat like seeing a supermodel with out their makeup on.

On might consider this a bold marketing move. But after considering it for a while, I see it more of an outgrowth of my relationship with my listeners. In the past, when recording, I would often have a small circle of confidants that I would share the roughs with. In effect, the good people of The Zorch Nation have become my no so small circle of confidants. Yet I still hope you buy the finished product.

I’m really enjoying working on this project and I’m quite please with how it’s progressing. It seems to have a sound all its own and that is what I’m shooting for. It doesn’t sound like a diverse collection of songs and aesthetically it has a unique voice, and I feel this is apparent even at this most rudimentary stage of recording.

I intend to post samples on the Imeem player as soon as I have something new for you to listen to. I’m shooting to have this project done by the 15th of November.

No comments: