Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Things have been going peachy in the wacky world of Second Life. Been playing shows to pretty good crowds, picking up a few group members and I’m just about done with “Songs in the key of Green”.

So of course I’m bracing for disaster.

Seems every time I turn a corner, I seem to turn another corner and end up in Loserville. I guess perhaps I expect too much. In my so-called real life there have been moments when all the hard work paid off in a moment. In my so-called Second Life, I have had a bunch of these moments, but they don’t seem to stick.

I still remember playing to a packed venue that emptied out before my first song was done. I have played a few more shows at the venue where that happened, and have done a bit better, but I don’t think I’ll be surprised in the least when that happens again and I’m sure it will.

The problem is there are too many variables to calculate. Number of shows you are playing against, and who is performing at those shows. Wonky Second life technical problems affect things. Who’s online? Will notices go out? Will the venue list the show in Live music events? So many variables.

You can’t get all your shit in one sock when you don’t really control the sock. Seems to me there will never be a defining moment. No big break. The odds are against you and there is nothing you can do to change that. This is going to be a long campaign of attrition.

But that is cool. I’m down with working hard to get where I need to go. Just keep playing, ignore the ego bruising moments and carry on. Things are good at the moment, but when disaster comes I should have the mind set to roll with it.

It’s taken me six months to attain “Newcomer” status, so full fledge Second Life Rock Star status might take a bit longer.

No comments: