Monday, October 13, 2008

200 chances to get it right

Well, Sunday the 12th was the big 200th show in Second Life show. I must say, and ask any in attendance it was one of my best shows yet. I always do a great show at the Jester Inn but this one was better then the normal great show I do.

Did I mention I’m humble?

200 shows in about 6 months brake down to a bit more then one show a day. Of course when I started out it was more like three shows a week. Now it’s more like three shows a day.

During the celebrations people kept saying “here is looking forward to the next 200 shows” at the rate I’m going that might take three months. Let’s face it, I’m ambitious, motivated, and I’ve got nothing better to do. I’m the perfect foot soldier to tour the various urine soaked venues of Second Life.

For the humor impaired out there, I meant urine soaked metaphorically.

But as always, let look at the bigger picture.

I’m often hearing about music magazine popping up to cover the scene in Second Life. When people talk about this, the Naysayers dutifully say nay, and then point out the problem of distributions and format.

The more salient point would be the lack of CONTENT. Nothing really happens on the music scene in Second Life. People book shows. People play shows. People attend shows. Everything else is just… stuff.

Bob has a new CD coming out. Cool Bob, everybody has a CD now. Bill is going to play a show in REAL LIFE ™. Cool Bill, but I don’t live near you so this has no direct impact on my life. Bob, Bill, and Tammy are going to JAM online together. Who cares? I don’t maybe I’m jaded (only took 6 months).

As long as we are talking about things that are no big deal, Zorch plays his 200th show. Who cares? Most people don’t. But for the friends at the Jester inn it was a very big deal indeed. And while I don’t care about Bob, Bill, and Tammy, it did matter to me.

So what is the moral Aesop? Community is where you find it, scene is where you make it, and everything else is nothing more then a gnat farting in a hurricane.

No comments: