Sunday, October 19, 2008

Next recording project, “Songs in the key of Green”

Both “Black and White” and “White and Black” were bold concepts. Basically a live recording, with only voice and guitar. None of the standard recording tricks were used. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even agonize over the quality of the performance. Each track has… how shall we say? Character.

I feel these recording were what the supporters of my music wanted to hear, and for the most part I try to accommodate them. However, as an artist, I can’t just churn out what people expect to hear. After a while you turn in to AC/DC and I don’t have the legs to pull off the schoolboy look.

The next project is going to be a bit of a departure. If I were an anal retentive Englishman I would call it a “Proper recording”. I think I still remember how to make one. While it will be a bit more textured then the two preceding collections, I plan to keep it close to the guitar oriented minimalist sound that has become my personal voice.

The title of the next collection is going to be “Songs in the key of Green” and I’m posting the graphic for the collection with this blog. Yes, I do start from concept on up when making a recording. I have a few of the songs already written, and as for matters of content I may reinterpret a few of my previously released songs. However I’m still on the fence about that.

The goal, as always, is to make a “Classic Album”. Solid songs, with solid performances, rendered as well as I can with the technology at hand.

Another thing I’m considering is releasing an actual CD of this recording. I’m well aware that CDs are pretty much dead, and MP3s are the wave of the future. But there is a part of me that feels creating a CD makes it seem more real. I fully understand the business folly of this, but a short run of CDs might just break even or possibly turn a small profit. The last two CD projects I released from my very own record company “ColaRolla”, turned a small profit and allowed me to buy some PA monitors and a really cool printer.

Of course two factors will kind of impede my progress on this project. I’m currently in “Tour” mode in Second life, and I have to migrate out of the man cave shortly. It’s getting cold and it’s time to move the operation inside the house. So it might take a week, a month or a year. But I’m quite excited about the possibilities.

No comments: