Friday, October 17, 2008

Hello, Good-bye

I was online a few nights back playing a show, and I received an IM from Plankton, personable owner of one of my favorite Venues “Cheers”. He informed me he had to cancel our long running Hump day MEGA set show because he was closing the Sim.

Bummer.

Last night I went to dutifully play my show at Roscoe Village. When I transported to where the landmark pointed… the venue was gone. In it’s place were a bunch of vendor prims and not much else. Another venue closed, this time without even the courtesies of telling me my Thursday evenings were open for bookings.

What a rude bummer.

Yesterday I played another show at “Dark Castle Park”. The show, only the third show I’ve played there was very well attended and while talking to the operator, she mentioned even the venue tips were impressive.

Why do some venues thrive and have good attendance, and other limp along and close?

Both Roscoe Village and Cheers counted of my ability to draw a crowd. When things started off poorly they figured it would pick up in time due to word of mouth. At both shows, only the Zorch Nation members online showed up. They seemed to be the only people to know about the shows. Both venues didn’t bother to post the show to the in-world events listing.

Dark Castle Park has been well attended since day one. They also posted the show to the events listing. Yesterday was not only a packed show, but I added four new members to the Zorch Nation.

Venues that put forth the minimal effort to post shows to the events listing seem to do better. It’s such a simple thing to do I don’t know why it’s such a rare occurrence. These show are better attended and it gives both the performer and venue a higher profile in the Second life music scene.

1 comment:

Suteruni said...

I cannot agree more Zorch, meant to react before about this. Live music lovers have a problem with group space, I think I am member of most of my favorite musicians but there are a lot more I like to hear play/sing so I need the info on the event search. Sometimes it is hard to choose because a lot of my fav's are playing at the same time, other times none of them are and I want to party on LOL
Been thinking of getting my own venue but I really dont know how ppl can manage, money wise.
The Dark place is doing a good job for sure, hope they will be around for a long time :)