Sunday, March 22, 2009

Welcome to my Un-career

Ever since the departure of my Show tech, group membership is dropping. It’s doing what I like to call “Bleeding out”. Since you can only have 25 groups, there comes a time in each Second life’s resident life where they have to drop a group or two to make room for new groups they wish to belong to.

It’s normal and part of Second life’s questionable charm.

I’m sure the hardcore Zorch fans are still members and manifold blessing upon them. I love you guys. But those on the bubble are drifting away. That is actually cool. Because while from a career viewpoint it’s bad… it doesn’t seem to affect the shows I play. They are still well attended.

As a matter of fact, there is this theory the more you play the less you draw. However I can play three or four shows a day and have them all well attended.

There is also a school of thought that says you should play as many different venues as possible to get your music in front of new ears. I tend to play the venues I know, and give others a shot now and then. And while it defies conventional wisdom, I seem to be picking up new fans all the time.

So how is the “un-career” going?

Well I play a lot of shows, they are well attended, I make good tips, and manage to sell about a gig and a half of MP3s a month.

Another prominent feature of my “un-career” is my willingness to play “Tips only” shows. It seems the point of most careerist, is to get to a point they can demand a large fee and be well compensated for their time. I feel the compensation I get via Tips and MP3 sales are sufficient. Besides, I like playing. Every show a do is another chance to get it right and getting it right feels really good.

The more I think about it, the more having an “un-career” RAWKS.

I don’t have to play strip clubs for a fee.

I do get to play for venues that love to have me out and actually help them defray the cost of operation.

I don’t need somebody “Tag Nagging”.

But I do get to enjoy the people that consider group membership in the Zorch Nation worth one of their precious 25 slots.

I don’t have to play “Venue roulette” and hope the people that hired me to draw a crowd to their venue don’t “Harsh my buzz”.

I do get to play for venue owner that allow me to put on the best show I can with no petty bullshit to deal with.

The very best thing about having an “un-career”, is it can really be all about the music, and that is all I really value anyway.

3 comments:

Aprille said...

My opinion is...anyone can pass out mass group memberships... while a lot of those people never intend to keep the group.. they just take them to be polite. What really counts are the people who show up to your shows over and over. Those are the fans (yes i remember you dont like that word lol).. those are the members you want. If you notice some of the best (best in my opinion) musicians have a average size group.. but those in the group show up.. they buy the music and they enjoy the shows. Like you said.. the size of your actually audience from show to show is what matters, if numbers are what matter to you. Ok done rambling.. not sure i made my point lol

Suteruni said...

The whole group thing sucks, LL should give unlimited groupspace really. I usually leave groups when the musician doesnt play for a while for some reason or they play at times that I am sleeping.I used to think musicians don't notice but they do. Have had musicians even ask me why I left which made me feel real awfull:(

And I agree with Aprille, the number of ppl in your group doesnt really say a thing about the attendence of your shows.

The life of a live music supporter in SL isn't always that easy; think I can write a book about it by now :D

Anyway, hope your ex-Show tech received the Zorchie award because she sure deserved it!

Zorch said...

I concur with Aprille’s comment. The people that show up to listen to the music are far more important then the size of the group. A large group in theory seems to allow you to notify people as to when and where you are playing.

However, when the venue does its job, post the show in “Live music events”, and sends out notices to the prominent music groups, the attendance seem to improve dramatically.

I try to never take my supporters for granted. That is why I work so hard to keep things fresh and interesting. If you are investing your time in listening to me, I had better present something worth your time.

Hit or miss, I do the best I can.