Friday, September 26, 2008

The music bidnezz comes to Second Life

Well perhaps I overstate. What actually happened was a “Music business student” came to Second life last night and was axing me questions. It started out with do I play in real life? But it ended with me asking… opps axing him what he really wanted to know. The bottom line, is Second life a good place to scout for talent.

That is an easy question to answer. No.

The current states of operation practices make the likelihood of finding good music in Second Life very slim. As a matter of fact, it’s almost titled against finding good music.

In the real world, there are built in filters that don’t exist in Second Life. Nobody is going to book an act that would drive customers out the door. In Second Life anybody that can do something on stage is worth giving an hour slot to. The questionable talent’s friends will come to see them and even if those supportive friends don’t tip the venue they do drive the traffic numbers up.

Last night I played a benefit, it was last minute and what basically happened is my paying gig was turned in to a benefit for the victim of hurricane Ike. Playing before me was Silas Scarborough. Silas and I have had a few tense personal exchanges on the SLMC forum basically revolving around the fact I’m an arrogant egotistical bastard. Silas is very humble, and very differential to everyone… except me. After watching his show the other night, I understand why he’s so humble. During the peaks of his show he managed to find a spot just south of mediocrity. The rest of the show was embarrassingly horrible. Maybe he was having a bad night… nah, he just isn’t very good. He might be a really nice guy and all, but musically he’s a waste of my time.

Of course after the show everybody was beaming about what a great set Silas played. I’m wondering if theses people are really nice or just def as a post.

After I finished my set, Grateful Stryker was up next. While not as horrible as Silas, definitely cheesy. Once again, maybe he was having a bad day.

The biggest problem with live music in Second Life is the fact so much crap is presented as great, it becomes much like the boy that cried wolf.

When I play the Jester Inn, the place it packed. Not just with the Zorch Nation faithful, but actual music lovers. Harrie only books good acts and the times she has a show it’s worth seeing. I wish more venue owner were interested in the quality of the music. They would be astounded that every time they open the door the place would be packed.

The “So-called” talent pool is basically anybody that can put together something to stream. Duffers with Guitars and a mic, to karaoke fucktards with their backing tracks. I’m thinking of Phineas Antera now. A fellow that claims to be the worst singer in Second Life. He gets booked, he’s got fans, and he openly admits to being horrible. He’s not kidding about being horrible, but he’s not the worse, Kite Looming is the worst.

To sum it up, finding good music in Second life is a lot like finding a needle in a haystack. Except it’s a HUGE freaking haystack. It’s not a viable feeding ground for the “Music biz sharks”. Of course there will always be make believe managers for make believe rock stars in Second Life. Isn’t that bad enough?

I’m just going to chant “Music Not Politics” now until I giggle so hard I piss my pants.

1 comment:

Joe and Kristin said...

I 100% agree with you on this topic. There are very few true musicians on SL. The ones that are out there are hard to find, because the karaoke singers are taking the time slots.