Thursday, September 25, 2008

Talking about ZorchBoom.com

I was working on my web site today, and I started marveling at it. I do have the ability to make a very flashy high bandwidth page full of Flash gizmos. But even if I spent hundreds of hours I don’t think it could be any more prefect.

I’m sure some are groaning at my arrogance at this point. But I view perfection differently then most. It’s not about being flawless. It’s about doing what the perfect thing is supposed to do spot on. The word “Calendar” is misspelled on every link, so it is indeed flawed. However the “Calender (sic)” page is the most visited page on the site. People are using the site for find out when and where I’m performing. That is a part of its purpose.

Some things are simple in design. Simplicity is just a stones throw away from elegance. Practical elegance is what any web site should be. The more effectively you make information available the more likely the viewer is to use that information in a positive way.

The first stop on the menu is “Music”, because the point of the web site is to promote music. Embedding Imeem players is a elegant solution to providing people access to my music. I can even make separate play list for each collection of songs, and have done just that. While it has always been easy to get some Zorch-tastic music in your ears, I’ve recently made more music available formatted in their respective collections. This is actually more complex to explain then use, and that is a very good thing.

The Calendar is an embedded version of my Google calendar. This means as soon as I book a show it’s reflected at the site calendar as well. If a show gets cancelled it’s also reflected on site as soon as I delete it from my booking calendar. I no longer bother to update the show calendar at MySpace.

While some might question the value of having a merchandise section, I’ll simply say people actually do buy the merchandise. I’ve had merch available for just about every band or project I’ve been involved with, but this is the very first time I’ve actually sold anything. I’m just about shocked. The merchandise vendor is once again and embedded flash gizmo. This means as soon as I design any new merchandise it’s reflected on site.

I’ve always been quite proud of the fact; the site features absolutely no biographical information. While this is often a major feature on most sites, I think it’s pretty pointless. The details of my life are not what I’m interested in sharing. I’ve always been suspicious of people with impressive resumes. When it comes to music, just listen to the songs. You either dig them or you don’t. My musical history has no bearing on that at all and if it does, you are not the kind of listener I’m looking for.

While I don’t choose to share my personal history, I don’t feel I’m a faceless web based life form. My blog is all you need to read to get to know me better, and it seems you are doing that right now. Instead of a static recitation of alleged facts: you get to enjoy my spontaneous organic egotistical spew. Is there a better way to get to know someone then watching them masturbate intellectually? I think not.

All and all, ZorchBoom .com hits the mark. It’s elegant, informative and with the blog attached full of surprises. The modular design makes it as Dynamic as my actual activity level. After many fitful sleepless nights of contemplation I’ve come to the conclusion that ZorchBoom.com is what Al Gore had in mind when he invented the Information Super Highway.

No comments: