Friday, September 12, 2008

The show must go on?

I had a moment today. About mid way though a show I realized I could not get my head in the game. For a few songs, I was on the fence about bailing mid concert. Maybe I could pull it off. Put on a happy face and just tough it out. he show must go on… right?

Bullshit. I’ve spent so much of my life living by that credo and it’s only now I’ve come to realize how unimportant the show really is. A show is just entertainment, and in context of the show, there are far more important elements.

The music matters.

The emotional content matters.

The connection with the listener matters.

These things happen during a show… if you get it right. But when the critical parts of the performance are absent, all you have left is a show.

On a actual tour, meaning “Get on the bus” tour. Real life is remarkably non-existent. Every effort and action it pointed at one target, the show. You drive all night, sleep when you can, take
wake-em-up pill, eat horrible food all in order to reach the magic moment of the day when you actually get to present your music to people. Family is a memory; your electricity bill is somebody else’s problem and if your lucky the road manager will remember to write the name of the city your playing on a piece of poster board so you can mention it in passing during the show.

Virtual touring in Second Life is very different. You spend 98% of your time immersed in REAL LIFE issues. Then you log on, fire up a stream and it’s time to be a Rockstar. The task is far more daunting then most would imagine.

Life does not revolve around Showtime. Kids gotta eat, you need to reschedule you dentist appointment. Parents die. Spouses get ill. The lawyers on the phone. Do I smell smoke… oh fuck.

The fact I can do a convincing show is almost and act of pathological disassociation.

I have shows booked tomorrow and in all likelihood I’ll play them. I really enjoy shows when I can maintain my focus. But I’ve come to the conclusion that doing an uninspired show is as bad as just canceling. I am pretty sure venue owners would not see it that way, but I do.

When you say, “the show MUST go on” you are making a rule. Rock and Roll is not about following the rules. It’s about breaking as many rules as you can and embracing your passions. It’s not anarchy, it’s art baby.

No comments: